What is Placenta Encapsulation?
“Placental encapsulation is the practice of ingesting the placenta after it has been steamed, dehydrated, ground, and placed into pills. Traditionally, this is taken by the mother and is believed to impart numerous health benefits.” Click here for article
-The American Pregnancy Association
Mothers who consume their encapsulated placenta have reported:
- reduced incidence and severity of postpartum depression (PPD)
- less mood swings and anxiety
- increased and fattier milk supply
- increased level of energy
- quicker recovery period
- reduced bleeding time
- higher iron.hemoglobin levels
- less postpartum hair loss
- reduced fatigue
Why Choose Omaha Birth & Babies to encapsulate?
Omaha Birth & Babies’ Placenta Encapsulation Specialists(PES) are trained by an internationally known organization, Placenta Benefits Info, LLC (PBI) which trains, supports, and supplies their specialists in a way that promotes uniformity, consistency, professionalism and above all, safety.
PBI specialists are trained in the Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) method of preparation which steams the placenta to a minimum internal temperature of 160F degrees, the temperature necessary to kill bacteria, before dehydrating.
Omaha Birth & Babies has a dedicated kitchen that we use when encapsulating your placenta. This kitchen allows for us to follow the blood borne pathogens and OSHA regulations for handling and encapsulating placentas.
Ingredients known to be present in the placenta and their healing properties:
- Gonadotropin: the precursor to estrogen, progesterone and testosterone.
- Prolactin: promotes lactation.
- Oxytocin: for pain and bonding; produced during breastfeeding to facilitate bonding of mother and infant. In pharmaceutical form this is a very addictive drug because it promotes a feeling of connectiveness with others.
- Thyroid stimulating hormone: boosts energy and helps recovery from stressful events.
- Cortisone: combats stress and unlocks energy stores.
- Interferon: stimulates the immune system to protect against infections.
- Prostaglandins: anti-inflammatory.
- Hemoglobin: replenishes iron deficiency and anemia, a common postpartum condition.
- Urokinase inhibiting factor and factor XIII: stops bleeding and enhances wound healing.
- Gammaglobulin: immune booster that helps protect against postpartum infections.
FAQ About Placenta Encapsulation
- You will fill out the necessary forms to sign up, and pay your $ 50.00 deposit.
- You will get an email right after signing up of the process and reminders: that includes you will need to bring a cooler to the hospital with you, what number to call when you are in labor, and how pick and drop off works.
- Once you have been admitted to the hospital you will give OBB, once baby is born you will call again once your placenta is ready for pick up. Your PES will meet you for pick up.
- The entire process (see video above) will be completed in OBB dedicated kitchen.
- Your capsules and tincture will be return to you.
Yes! You will need to make arrangements with for a family member or friend to pick up your placenta from the hospital within 4 hours after giving birth and also with OBB for that family member or friend to drop off the fresh placenta and then also pick up the finished capsules.
Each placenta is unique and therefore we can not tell you the amount of capsules you will receive.
Typically we find that the smaller the baby, the smaller amount of capsules and the larger the baby the larger yield of capsules you will get but not always.
We would say as a rule of thumb that average is around 100 capsules.
They will be dehydrated and put into capsules for you to take by mouth.
They are best taken with food.
Our suggestion would be to try this amount to see if this works well for you. You can always adjust the amount to what helps you the most.
Day 1-5 two caps three times a day
Day 6-10 two caps two times a day
Day 11 + one cap two times a day
This constitutional remedy is for both mother and child and is shelf-stable. Properly cared for it can
last a lifetime, and can also be turned into homeopathic remedy by a local herbalist or homeopath. It
is recommended to allow the placenta to steep for at least four -six weeks before use. The tincture is very shelf-stable if kept in a cool dark place such as a cupboard, and will last for many, many years.
•Balance postpartum hormonal fluctuations
•Soothe indigestion for mom
•Decrease insomnia and sleep disorders
•Ease anxiety and emotional distress
•Helps balance hormones and reduce symptoms of PMS and later in life – for menopause
•Aids trauma, transition, or emotional distress for mom (1st day of
school/daycare, child’s growth spurts, separation anxiety, sleep difficulties, and
•Ease or eliminate cough, stuffy nose, and indigestion.
Suggested dosage of 7-10 drops of tincture can be put in a glass of water for the mother to drink
during times of transition after her placenta pills are gone.
Some women have reported using this placenta tincture to successfully treat the symptoms of postpartum depression, PMS and menopause.
You can take up to 40 drops, twice a day. Follow the cues of your body.
Placenta Encapsulation Investment
Your Placenta Encapsulation Service Includes:
- On call service for placenta pick up. ONLY OMAHA HAS A PICK UP OPTION. All other services areas will need to arrange a drop off time to Omaha.
- Size 00 unflavored gelatin Capsules.
- The full preparation and encapsulation processed with the Traditional Chinese Method of Placenta Encapsulation. (Steams Placenta to 160 degrees)
- Tinctured Placenta for longer lasting effects.
- Proper storage container for placenta capsules and tincture.
- Instruction for suggested dosage